Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Saved !

Oh, Happy Day !!! The LAUSD asked the Board of Education to rescind another 522 elementary teachers that received their RIF (Reduction in Force - laid off in layman's terms) and the board agreed to do so. I am very, very happy to say that I was one of those 522 and can now breathe a huge sigh of relief. I will have the incredible joy of grappling once again with a brand new set of 36 different 5th grade minds next year. I am truly walking on air at this moment.
I would remind us all to not forget that this came about because of all the unions (teachers, administrators, of office workers, custodial, counselors, nurses, etc.) taking furlough days, deep cuts at the district level and a class size increase that is still in effect from last year. We are still in financial trouble for the following year as the Governor is withholding $2.3 billion from K-12 California schools in his latest budget. I will write a new post soon concerning the upcoming election, but for now, I want to bathe in the glow of happiness.

3 comments:

  1. That's great! I never believed they would really let you go, but it certainly looked grim for a bit. Ironically, the Federal grant that is supposed to sponsor my tech coaching position next year has been held up in the state legislature. I'm guaranteed a position, but where is anyone's guess...
    BTW, why do you have 36 kids!!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... I could swear I left a comment yesterday, but it's gone today.
    Anyway, congrats Bruce! Sorry you had to go through the uncertainty.

    Bob

    ReplyDelete